As a warm-up for the Washington Premiere of “A Very Sordid Wedding” on Friday, September 15, Gesa Power House Theatre will screen the cult hit “Sordid Lives” on Thursday, September 14 at 7:00 p.m.
“Screamingly funny!” – Variety
“A train wreck you can’t help but watch.” – Chicago Tribune
“Sordid Lives” is an independent film released in 2000, written and directed by Del Shores, based on his play of the same name. The film follows a gay West Hollywood actor as he returns home to his small Texas town for his grandmother’s funeral. Three generations of his dysfunctional family collide and the hilariously trashy truth of their lives are revealed.
The film’s remarkable cast includes Olivia Newton-John (Grease), Delta Burke (TV’s “Designing Women”), Bonnie Bedelia (TV’s “Parenthood”), Beau Bridges (TV’s “Masters of Sex”) and Leslie Jordan (TV’s “Will and Grace”).
Awards for “Sordid Lives:
- New York Independent Film & Video Festival – Best Film
- New York Independent Film & Video Festival – Best Actor
- Atlanta Gay & Lesbian International Film Festival – Best Film
- Austin Gay & Lesbian International Film Festival – Best Film
- South Beach Film Festival – Best Film
- Philadelphia International Gay & Lesbian Film Festival – Best Film
- Memphis International Film Festival – Best Film
- San Diego International Film Festival – Best Film
- Outfest Gay & Lesbian Film Festival – Best Soundtrack
“Sordid Lives” was followed in 2008 by the television series “Sordid Lives: The Series” which expanded on the events of the original film and included many of the original cast members. A sequel film “A Very Sordid Wedding” is currently in limited theatrical release and the September 15 screening at the Power House will be the official Washington Premiere of the film. Filmmakers Del Shore (writer/director) and Emerson Collins (producer/actor) will be in attendance.
“Sordid Lives” is rated R (language, nudity) and runs approximately 1 hour 50 minutes. Snacks, beer, and wine will be available for purchase.
Reserved seating tickets will be available to Members on Saturday, July 15, to Email Subscribers on Friday, July 21, and to the public on Saturday, July 29. Tickets will be available separately for “Sordid Lives” and “A Very Sordid Wedding“, however, buying both together is the best deal.
# # #
The 2017 Gesa Power House Theatre Season receives support from: